Monday, February 7, 2011

Prom memories

It's that time of year when enterprising young high school students begin to think about the crowning glory of their year—prom.

Being the nerdy antisocialite that I was back in high school, I feigned a complete lack of interest in prom, since I knew I would never go. But being the closet fashionista that I also was, I was secretly gaga over prom dresses and hairdos, just like all the other girls.

Imagine my surprise and delight when one of my friends from another school hooked me up with one of her friends from the same, so we could go to prom together! Imagine the flights of artistic fancy that I took when dreaming up my own dress.


Here it is, on the back of a test on an unknown subject (I missed one question). As you can see, purple and I have always had a bit of a love affair.

I never made my own prom dress. In fact, I borrowed a dress from a friend of that same friend. It was too big for me (although it was purple), and I had hair like Frankenstein's bride, I stayed out too late and got yelled at by my mom when I got home, and all in all, it's an experience I'd like to forget.

However, it deserves remembering, as it's the first documented case of my descent into the world of "being interested in clothes."

No comments:

Post a Comment