Friday, November 9, 2012

Home-made Dickey

The dickey is not a very popular item in the fashion world right now (and with a name like dickey, that's not a surprise), so I'll forgive you if you're not familiar with the term. Basically, a dickey is a sort of sleeveless half-shirt that you wear under another shirt to give the appearance of layers without the bulk. Here's a picture.

Last year, I got a blouse on eBay that was too big for me and too stained to sell, so I decided to cut it up and make my own dickey out of it. (I cut the rest of it into strips and used them as rag curlers for my hair.) After surgery, it looked like this.


When the time finally came to wear it, this proved to be much too small. Its edges kept popping out from underneath the outer layer, so... Res-Q-Tape to the rescue! I fastened it to the collar of the shirt in a couple of places and brought the rest of the tape to work with me, just in case (I didn't need it).

In the end, here's how it looked.


And here's how I wore it.


At the end of the day, I tore off my dickey and threw it in the trash. I'll try it again sometime, the next time I have an old blouse I don't know what to do with, but this one was just too small to be practical. The most ironic part of this whole escapade is, while I created it to reduce bulk, the sweater I chose to wear it under was so translucent that I had to wear a tank top under it anyway!

[Though this post is labeled How-To, it would probably best be described as How-Not-To]

No comments:

Post a Comment