Sunday, January 5, 2014

Modern Mod

 
A year after purchase, these off-white calf-high boots are still one of my favorite pairs of footwear (but I have about 10 favorites, so don't put too much stock in that!).

I love them because* we don't see nearly enough white in winter, thanks to an ages-old silly fashion rule declaring the color off-limits throughout the fall, winter, and most of the spring (Technically these boots are "winter white" and thus OK). I wear white in winter, and I love it. I could have worn black shoes with this beauteous purple dress, but that would have dragged the pretty and playful jewel-studded frock into a more somber realm, and I wanted something bright and spritely!

The silhouette and color of these boots always remind me of go-go boots from the 60's or 70's, and the shape of the dress reminds me of a more hippie-leaning aesthetic from around the same time period.

However, what brings the outfit into the modern era, and the thing I nearly forgot to mention in this post, is the socks! It's only been within the last few years that I've seen socks peeping over the tops of boots as an intentional element of an outfit. Here my purple socks (with unicorns, but unfortunately you don't get to see those this time) subtly bring the purple of the dress back into the whiteout below my knees.

*There is another reason I love them as well, and that is that they are not too big.

No comments:

Post a Comment