Tuesday, July 8, 2014

How I covered my roots this week

The big old headband of July 1 was only the beginning! Since we last met, I've been trying all sorts of tricks to cover up my hair roots.

On the 4th of July, I went all-out patriotic with a bandanna on my head (and blue sunglasses and jewelry to boot).
 
 
On the Sunday following, I discovered that a multi-strand beaded necklace makes a pretty cute headband, which neatly disguised the blond part at the base of my bangs. I was astonished that it stayed on all evening, making it not only cute but practical.
 
I'm the one on the right.

Here's the entire outfit to go with my beaded headband.
All these bands and bandannas have been a fun variation from my usual routine, but I've also happily discovered a way to return to it: hair chalk! I haven't had much luck with using chalk to actually put bright colors in my hair, but it turns out to be a great solution for disguising roots. I just swipe it on wherever my hair happens to be parted, maybe touch up around my face a little, and I'm done! It's not a perfect color match, but it's close enough, and it enables me to wear my hair in normal styles without covering up my head!
 

Headshot of Before and after using chalk to cover up roots
 
Using these techniques, I feel pretty confident that I can avoid dyeing my hair for at least another couple of months...and I haven't even brought out the big guns yet...just wait until I try the ultimate in head coverings—a turban!

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas! I've been looking for ways to cover my roots and I like the techniques you listed out.

    ReplyDelete