Monday, July 28, 2014

My Fair Lady


Style Tip The best way to showcase a colorful accessory is to wear it against a black backdrop.

Thus, when I decided it was time to take my new metallic blue heels for a spin, I went with nondescript black pants and a subtle (yet elegant, I like to think!) black top.

Maybe I've just been reading too many fashion columns about "Old Hollywood Glamour", but something about this outfit made me think of Audrey Hepburn. Is it the cropped cigarette pants (which figure in the first paragraph of almost any article on Audrey Hepburn's style)? Or the sober black color scheme (which might not be her signature look, but since almost all her photos are in black and white, it's hard not to make that association)? Or the dainty blue stud earrings, (which happen to bear a striking similarity to a pearl pair marketed with her name on it)?

I don't know, but I do know that once I had Hepburn in my head, I knew I had to go all the way. I may not be a hardcore fan, but since I saw her in a film at an impressionable age, I wished fervently that I could look like her. Consider this outfit my best attempt. I may never be graced with her delicate features, but I do happen to have her dark hair at present. I had a go at her signature 60's cat eye, and I did the best sophisticated updo I could muster, since that's what she always seems to be wearing, especially in her iconic Breakfast at Tiffany's look.

Judging from what little I've gleaned from fashion blogs and photos, Audrey Hepburn would not have been caught dead in what some people might describe as "stripper shoes," but they were the starting point of this outfit, and they are here to stay!

Here we are, my newfound style icon and me!

1 comment:

  1. Very Hepburn-esque. I love the hints of color.

    ReplyDelete