Monday, November 3, 2014

Flower and Dots

 
This outfit was one of the rare few that wasn't planned out in advance. I got home late one night and decided I would wear my polka-dotted white dress because it was new, and black and white is easy to accessorize, and thus I could go to sleep without trying on my entire closet. So I did.

I then got up in the morning, pulled the dress out, and decided what to wear with it. I could have gone all black and white, which would have been easy, but even in my hurried state, I knew that wasn't going to make me happy, so I went for my teal boots.

I quickly tried on several necklaces, none of which quite worked, before once again reaching into Grandma's Brooch Collection to make use of the last of the unworn pieces: a blue daisy that had proved particularly challenging because usually when I want to wear that color, I wear one of several necklaces or earrings that I think of first. Fortunately, I have run out of teal necklaces and earrings, so I was forced to branch out into brooches. The center of the daisy was a very similar shade to the boots, so it worked well. I placed it smack dab in the middle of a polka dot, ensured the stem didn't compete with any other dots, and considered the deal done. The shell earrings with pearls were a no-brainer because their color was teal and their shape was so dotty!

I put my hair up in a bun mainly because it's quick and easy, and, because I was feeling sort of mod about the whole outfit (polka-dot shift dresses do that too me), I added a broad black headband (also helpful in my neverending battle with my growing-out dye job). I wore leggings mainly because the dress was pretty short and I just didn't feel like doing endless modesty checks, but in the end, I think I like the way they work with the outfit as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment