Wednesday, February 7, 2018

This is how the Unfashionista does subtlety


If you were to do no more than glance over this blog, you'd probably figure out pretty quickly that I love to dress to be noticed. Splashy designs, unusual silhouettes, and bright colors galore, that's the name of my game!

But even I have to trade in my flashy attire for something a little more subtle at times. Times like meetings!

Last week, I was invited to attend a meeting at work. I actually hardly ever have formal meetings, but when I do, I prefer to wear my most businesslike clothing and save the experimental stuff for another more solitary day. This meeting was not just any meeting, though. It was a large gathering of influential people, all brought together to share opinions which would ultimately determine the fate of our collective website—which is my livelihood. I didn't have an active role at this meeting, as I was only there to observe and learn, but as the entire agenda centered around my life's work, I wanted to make a good showing.

That meant looking professional and presentable, but not standing out like a sore thumb. My aim was to be a fly on the wall, not a fly buzzing incessantly around people's eyeballs. So I very reluctantly planned my outfit to go under the radar. A classic silhouette was paramount. I settled on this wrap dress, which I have never featured in my blog, despite owning it for longer than I can remember. It's a little plain for my usual tastes, but it's still indisputably one of my most useful dresses. The knee length walks that perfect line between revealing and dowdy. The wrapped waist gives it a little dimensionality, and also means I can make it fit me to a tee or loosen it up depending on my mood. The small black and white pattern looks like a neutral solid from a distance, but it is a pattern, which means it's slightly less boring. And lastly, the very low neckline makes it ideal for layering.

Yes, in spite of initially aiming more for pea hen than peacock, I could not resist adding a few flourishes.

Style Tip The secret to dressing unobtrusively while simultaneously not dying of boardroom boredom is to wear fun shoes. They won't distract anyone while hidden under the conference table, but there they are, ready to steal the show only when you're standing (i.e. social hour has begun).

Since the weather's too cold for bare legs, and I can't stand the thought of wearing tights, I was limited to knee-high boots, and I only own two pairs of colored knee high boots. I decided on the blue ones.

Naturally, I that meant that the pop of color under my collar also had to be blue.

Yes, a pop of color. As you can see, I was completely unsuccessful in silencing my inner peacock, and even after adding the blue shoes and the blue camisole, I still needed more. I needed...a brooch! It just so happened that my two-toned blue floral pin went perfectly with the rest of my outfit, and it was the ideal type of accessory for the look I was going for. It's small and somewhat old-fashioned but still quirky and fun—a non-threatening way to add just a hint of flair. What better way to show that you mean business, but you don't really mean business? Hmmm...there might be other ways.

I was pleased as punch with my sartorial choices for the meeting, but I soon realized the error of my ways. I had neglected to consider the physics of a wrap skirt. The whole time I was at the table, I was constantly adjusting my skirt to keep the layers from gaping open.

Style Tip Unless you're keen on showing a lot of thigh, a wrap skirt is best saved for occasions when you'll be mostly standing or have something covering your lap.

Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment